- My undergrad major was Chemistry. I graduated 10 years ago.
- I worked in a raw materials pharmaceutical lab. That was 9 years ago.
- I am certified to teach Chemistry. I passed the PRAXIS 5 years ago
- I’ve tutored a few students in science during the last 5 years.
- I’ve never taught a science class.
- I will be teaching an MYP 5 science class for the remainder of the 2016-17 school year.
So there’s all that. My biggest fear is that I won’t be able to find the balance to be both a good teacher and a good instructional coach (without going insane). Oh…and I’m currently coaching track & field too. My biggest hopes are that I will make meaningful connections with students and positively impact student learning. Weighing it all, this is a great opportunity to get back into the classroom and experience teaching science with a supportive & collaborative 10th grade teaching team.
As I start to tune in to both the content and the pedagogy of teaching science, I’m looking to connect with anyone who:
- has successfully transitioned from 1 teacher to another during a school year.
- teaches MYP 4 or 5 science (I’m especially interested in integrating ATL skills, the IB Learner Profile, concepts, global contexts & statements of inquiry in everything we do).
- uses protocols with (HS) students.
- uses visible thinking routines to help (HS/MYP) students better understand science.
- integrates technology in the teaching & learning of (MYP) science.
- balances the responsibilities of leadership & classroom teacher.
#AISQ8 has some amazing educators and I’m excited to collaborate with the department. However I’d love to expand my PLN as I take some risks this year. Say hi, suggest educators I should connect with or whatever you see fit. Sending lots of gratitude into the universe!